Noblin activity of the knitting variety.

Including Noblin Designs, How to identify Noblins,
Advice on how to catch a Noblin, and How to keep your Noblin happy.

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

New project!

When I was at Ally Pally I bought some Nef Lace from Fyberspates. It is very beautiful and soft (alpaca, silk and cashmere) and I have finally decided on a pattern to knit. I've never knitted a triangular lace shawl before and I wanted to see whether it suited me.



The pattern is Mystic Waters shawl by Anna Dalvi. Like most triangular shawls, it starts with very few stitches and after increasing two stitches every other row, you finish with approximately 7000 stitches. Okay, I haven't actually checked how many I will finish with , but it will be many many many stitches.





As I have only just begun, the rows are very quick. I have only had to unpick two and a half so far out of 20 so I think that is pretty good going. I can only do a few rows at a time as I find manipulating the fine yarn a bit stressful on my wrists. Oh ok, I was playing computer games in my lunch break and my arm was a bit strained.



I'm using completely wrong yarn and needles for the pattern so it will be a voyage of discovery and a delightful surprise as to the final measurements. I normally don't like surprises but I'm too lazy to swatch and I don't think the measurements of a shawl are crucial. I think I'm partly drawn to this as I've been watching lots of Jane Austen dvds lately. My new favourite is Mr Tilney. I've set a preliminary deadline of the summer - perhaps a birthday present for me. Actually, the shawl was originally going to be a gift for someone else so I shall see when I've finished whether I want to keep it or not. If I had been buying for me, I would have bought a different colour but I do wear blue a lot and I do like this colourway.

I'll leave you with a view of my new hairdo.



Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 3:59 AM, Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Wrong needles? Who says? Lace weight takes some getting used to.

Oh, yes. I love the hair. There's something vaguely familiar about it :)

K

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

The yarn looks so lovely. I think it will be beautiful as a Mystic Waters shawl.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home