Noblin activity of the knitting variety.

Including Noblin Designs, How to identify Noblins,
Advice on how to catch a Noblin, and How to keep your Noblin happy.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Noblin Design - Joyous Scarves

Here's a little something I made at the weekend. Two little somethings actually. They are very quick knits and very useful for birthday/Christmas presents. Both scarves use only one ball of Rowan Polar and a 4 row pattern repeat. They are a nice introduction to lace and a good way to use up the random ball of Polar you bought in the Liberty Sale two years ago (or is that just me?). If you're making both scarves, you may want to split the ball into two halves before you start, or weigh the first scarf as you go along.

Materials:

100g (1 ball) of Rowan Polar
8mm needles
Pins for blocking

Pattern 1:

Pattern 1 Cast on 9 sts

Foundation row: Purl

Row 1: p1, k1, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, k2tog tbl, k1, p1
Row 2: k1, p7, k1
Row 3: p1, k2tog, y0, k3, yo, k2tog tbl, p1
Row 4: k1, p7, k1

Repeat rows 1 - 4 until you have used approximately half of the ball.

Cast off.

Weave in ends. (I used my fingers to do this rather than a needle.)

Block to approximately 3 inches wide and 60 inches long using your preferred method. (I soaked the scarf in warm water, squeezed out the excess in a towel and pinned the scarf to my rug. As it's so hot here at the moment, the scarves dried really quickly.)

Pattern 2:

Pattern 2 Cast on 9 sts

Foundation row: Purl

Row 1: k3 (yo, k3) twice --- 11 sts
Row 2: k2, p7, k2
Row 3: k4, sl 1 knitwise, k2tog, psso, k4 --- 9 sts
Row 4: k2, p5, k2

Repeat rows 1 - 4 until you have very nearly finished the ball.

Cast off.

Weave in ends.

Block to approximately 3.5 inches wide and 50 inches long using your preferred method.

4 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea to use up the odd ball (no, it wasn't just you, I got some lovely purple and orange ones too). Very pretty, I love skinny scarves, and those seem to be narrow enough to wear comfortably and yet toasty warm:)

xx

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing those patterns Abi - I can make use of them, I'm sure :) And those scarves will be lovely and worm - later in the year, of course :)

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I have a couple of balls of Polar in my stash, I'll have to try your pattern out. Thanks for sharing it.

 
At 6:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi from Australia,
Thanks so much for sharing this lovely pattern,I will knit one scarf today and then the other one tomorrow.It is a lovely lacy pattern,just what I have been looking for.
Cheers from Bev.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home