Noblin activity of the knitting variety.

Including Noblin Designs, How to identify Noblins,
Advice on how to catch a Noblin, and How to keep your Noblin happy.

Thursday, July 01, 2010

Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?

At knitting on Tuesday, we got on to the subject of how much should be charged for pattern downloads, what we expect when we pay for a pattern and how much we think a pattern is worth. It's so easy now to sell patterns online, especially through Ravelry. I haven't purchased many patterns online as I have many books and there are so many free patterns available too. I have bought a few from Twist Collective and Ravelry and I haven't been disappointed. The patterns I bought had clear instructions, charts, diagrams and photographs. I also expect a lot of free patterns that are published in Knitty but don't necessarily expect the same standard of free patterns independently published on Ravelry. I do know, though, that there are some extremely well written free patterns that the designer could easily charge for.

Here's what I expect when I pay for a pattern
I always expect a photograph of the finished item and clear instructions
$1-$2 Small item, one size only, basic instructions, perhaps a hat or simple fingerless mittens
$3-$5 Medium item, several sizes, full instructions, perhaps a child's jumper or hat and booties set, schematic
$6-$9 Large item, several sizes, full instructions with details on customising the fit, special stitch pattern/technique
$10 plus Multiple items, full range of sizes, full instructions with details on customising the fit, special stitch pattern/technique, further photograph/diagrams for technique

I'm going to go back to the patterns I bought and see how they compare to what I've suggested here.


Labels:

2 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I like and agree with the price structure.Would like to add, that this is what I expect of a pattern too.

I expect the pattern to have been test knitted, maybe not in every single size but in the main ones that are important for making the design work if graded into other sizes.

I also expect the pattern to have been checked for accuracy and consistency through a pattern checker or a technical editor.

As an indie pattern writer, I put even more effort into my self published patterns to guarantee accuracy than I would for those patterns submitted to major publishers because the publisher had their own editing team including checkers and tech editors.

However, I have found, that on more than one occasion a publisher had let me down on this and some magazines do run patterns that are not checked.

Many indie pattern sellers think that writing up their notes is good enough. It is always worth a person checking the free patterns from an indie source and if the structure and accuracy seems fine then their patterns for sale should be good too.

For free patterns I expect (and I put the same effort into my own)exactly the same standards as a properly published paid for pattern.

Hi Noblin.....Have been wondering how you are! Where are you? Drop me an email with news I want to know all the details......including your latest knitting club....I must come along one evening it would be fun.

I found a comment from you on my website, very kind words about my charts. Have started to use CS3/CS4 and Illustrator for charts.....if you have not used it yet you must, and I will show you the wonders of it sometime!

Luv
Erssie

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Have thought of another thing about patterns.

In my experience patterns really are only successful with beginner to intermediate skilled knitters if they are graded into sizes. The one size fits all does not work for a lot of people. This is why......

Regardless of being told to match gauge, a lot of knitters will knit something, try it on, if it does not fit they will not change needle size....they just look at the pattern and choose the next size up or down and do that instead. We've all been there, and if a simple patterns does not get graded into sizes then it leaves this sort of knitter with few options if they cannot control their gauge or bought only one pair of needles in one size cos that is what the pattern stated was needed in materials.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home