Noblin activity of the knitting variety.

Including Noblin Designs, How to identify Noblins,
Advice on how to catch a Noblin, and How to keep your Noblin happy.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Ripping progress

This is what happened to the official casting on of the secret shawl. It was ripped and wound up. I cast on 98 ish stitches over 200 needles, which used the whole length of the knitting machine ( I really should name it ). Chris was getting neck and back strain and more importantly, the knitting was getting all snarled up and I had to keep picking up dropped stitches. I was feeling pretty down about it and on Sunday I fetched the remaining 6 balls for the husband's scarf. Chris was wondering whether we could give the present to them as a do it yourself kit.

We decided to work the shawl in two separate pieces as the centre section of the machine seemed to work a lot better.

In the meantime, I cast on some handknitting! I fancied a break from the leaves and saw a cute star hat pattern for free on I'm Knitting As Fast As I Can. I started it on Saturday with the blue cotton/acrylic from Berlin.

I am very pleased except for the big hole in the centre. I'm not sure if that was due to my cast on technique. I'll try to weave the end in in a star type shape. I made a hat for my mum once, with a hole in the middle, and her hair stuck through it in a tuft. I wouldn't want that for the new nephew, especially as my mum' s hat ended up on the snowman and then I claimed it back. Maybe I'll show you a picture of it one day.


At 5:31 PM, Anonymous jen said...

Oh no - the hat ended up on a snowman! That's a shame! You can fix the hole, I thread the yarn through all the sts and pull it tight befoer darning it in when that happens to me (which it does, on every hat I've ever made!)


Post a Comment

<< Home